An Iguana's Life

I am Lady Iguana. I run Iguana-Mania, a local reptile shelter for abused, unwanted reptile pets. People always ask me about iguanas, when I am in the streets, raising funds to help feed reptiles that I have rescued over the last 15 years. So I decided to take you on a tour of my two favorite iguanas lives. They are Pugsley and Zilla, and Pugsley's little son, Timias. You will come to see just how "human" iguanas can be.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Some Background Info

I am an Iguana nut! I love them! I feel that they are the noblest animals in the world. They look so much like live dragons, that owning one is like owning a dragon.
I began my rescue of these beautiful animals 15 years ago, when I met a lady that was only 4 & 1/2 feet tall and owned a 6 & 1/2 foot iguana named Bolo. It almost floored me! These animals were so cool.
A few weeks later, she gave me my first iguana, one who had been mauled by a dog and was terribly frightened of me. He was young, fortunately, young enough to adapt and he became my teacher and my friend. I named him Goliath, as a joke. He was a small-sized iguana.
Little did I know the joke was to be on me!
He is now over 15 years old and is 6' 10" and 40 pounds! He grew up to his name. He looks more like a Komodo dragon than an iguana, and he is the sweetest iguana you would ever want to meet.

Over the years, we have had a great partnership, with him teaching me how to care for them and just how they react to living with humans. I never caged. I don't believe in it.
If you locked me up in a 9 by 12 room, with nothing to do all day except wait on a meal...well, I'd probably bite you, too!
My iguanas are treated like children. They are house-broken to newspaper and have free roam of my house. We are family, all of us. And, we all respect each others needs.

The best way to show you out there that iguanas can be loving, interactive animals, is to tell you.
Read my log and look at the pictures, then e-mail me with your responses.
Let me know if you agree with me or not...do iguanas think that they are human?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home